Munch Nut Free Choc Energy Balls
No Nut, Choc Energy Balls
Another fantastic recipe from Libby at Munch, I am super excited about these as not only do they taste deeelish but they make for a perfect healthy treat on the go (which lets face it - is most of the time with kids!)
Free of refined sugar and packed with digestion-supporting fibre, good fats and a host of vitamins and minerals, these little balls are almost too good to be true. They are quick and easy to make, keep brilliantly in the freezer and travel well in lunchboxes.
- 70g pumpkin seeds
- 50g sunflower seeds
- 20g oats
- 80g medjool dates
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cacao powder.
- Optional: 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp finely grated orange zest.
1) Blitz the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and oats in a food processor until they resemble a fine dust. Put two Tbsps of the mixture into a bowl and leave to one side.
2) Add the dates, cinnamon and cacao powder (and the vanilla or orange zest, if using) to the food processor and blitz again for another 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape the sides down a couple of times. The mixture should come together in a ball in the food processor — this can take a while, keep going!
3) Tip the mixture out on to a plate, and with wet hands, divide and roll into 24 balls.
4) Put the balls into the seed dust and shake them around the bowl to coat.
5) Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 weeks, or in the freezer for a couple of months. You can put them straight into the lunchbox from the freezer and they’ll defrost by lunchtime.
You can also find this and other amazing recipes perfect for lunches and beyond over at Munch.